Keto Diet: Saviour or destroyer? Solution or problem?
Omegas 3 or 6 are very good source for the weight loss and are counted as good fat. Check the link if you are planning to lose the weight.
Before writing about the keto-diet plans or thinking about the keto-diet, my series about lifestyle articles was going on, and it was interesting for me to share the news about fiber, micronutrients, and essential nutrients in the human body. It has been one of the major issues in the whole world due to either excess or deficiency of micronutrients, which can cause major issues in the human body.
At the same time, I was reading some articles and found out that a woman in the United States had collapsed because of the ketogenic diet. Im not sure what happened there. Practitioners use their different clinical skills and knowledge to suspect the disease and confirm it, but media diagnose or solve the case much faster. According to media reports, the lady was on the keto diet when she collapsed and went into a coma.
I am not here to share that I read an article; don’t worry, but I will share some facts and demystified myths with public relations, and you can trace them back to the research. Okay, we can begin with this. Yeah, of course, if you let me.
Keto diet: a solution for seizures
As you have already known about seizures, If not, then no problem; I will link an article with the seizure word. Click on the article and read it. Back in the 1920s, a scientist introduced a low carb diet, mainly a ketogenic diet, to treat seizures in pediatric patients. 1
Im kind of poor in biochemistry and molecule- or chemical-type substances, but don’t worry, I can manage it. Come on, you can do it. Push.
Back then, someone much more talented than us, of course, thought that for seizures, neurons need energy, which they can derive from glucose very easily. It is known that seizures are abnormal contractions of the muscles in the body and can be caused by many reasons. Thus, he found out that providing less energy from glucose but a good amount of energy from good fat or a ketogenic diet can actually increase the threshold for seizures to happen. Maybe you are confused. But yeah, I said he was a genius. Thus, in short, this means a ketogenic diet led to fewer seizure episodes.
But: Don’t run, okay? There is a sentence with but. Nowadays, we use anti-epileptics for the treatment. Some geniuses founded the better option than keto.
Some myths about the keto diet
As I have been progressing with the research, I have found that many people have different kinds of statements about keto. For example:
- Ketogenic diet is magic spell for weight loss.
- Ketogenic diet means no carbs or no protein.
- Keto-diet can lead to kidney and heart issues.
- Keto-diet is one and only way to reduce the body fat.
- Or funny one is keto-diet means beacons and meatloaf.
There are many, but I could not find all of them. You can add it in the comment, and I will put some insights into it.
I don’t know why the women in our case fell because we don’t have a full history, but at least we know about the diet, its effects, and its side effects, which we can apply to our lives easily.
- FIrst thing is as i mentined, keto diet is reducing the carbs and increasing the amoung of good fat. I will list foods in one table but for now follow the lines, this will help you.
- Seond this about the keto is you will not be lean and thin another month following the keto. One research with total of 9oo and somthing participitants reported that peoples who follow keto diet and low fat diet for 12 months loss the weight of 7 and 6 kg respectively. I am not giving the exact number in decibels but what i meant to say is there was just a differnce of 0.92 kg after the experiment.
- Well planned keto-diet contains all the nutrietns that you need, Just follow your dietician and you have to complains about any symptoms you have.
- Athelets can follow the ketogenic diet but they have to balance the energy consuption and loss ratio.
I will later in this part explain the side effects of the ketogenic diet, but here are two cases presented with the ketogenic diet.
Case No. 1: A child on a ketogenic diet collapsed because of a selenium deficiency.
Case no. 2: Same thing.
Please don’t say anything. I know I posted about the same case. But this same case happens in the same manner but in different time frame, which denotes and suggests that prolonged ketosis can actually lead to selenium deficiency. Selenium is an element in our body that helps boost the immune system, neurologic function, cardiac function, and so on.
Both of the children collapsed because of the QT prolongation in the ECG and selenium deficit cardiomyopathy. Which took their lives. I am feeling sad for them.2
What we need to take care of with the ketogenic diet
- You were waiting for this? Or may be no. Please follow, you are following some hard work.
- Okey, there were case where people with ketogenic diet felt headache, vomiting, synope, and collapsed. It is becuase your brain got no glucose and low glucose triggers brain to shut down.
- If you are following low glucose diet, then your insulin will be low which means you can have really high potassium and low sodium. You can have orthostatic hypertension. And if your body responded then you can have serious issue
- While you were on high calorie diet with sugar, your body consume water with glucose and store it. You may look a little bit fat with water and while you started keto, you will lost the water and you seem thin. Just not misunderstood, okey.
- You have to think about normal micronutrient while being on keto.
- Person with diabetes 1, heart issues, kidney issues, and diabetic ketoacidosis can not be on ketogenic diet.
- If you are pregnancy, then you cannot be on ketogenic diet.3
- Improves seizures, as we talked already.
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Improves weight.
- Increase good fat.
- Have been used in relieving the symptoms of Parkinson disease, Alzheimers disease, and so on.
Foods you can consider:
Sure! Here’s a list of foods that are commonly included in a ketogenic diet:
- Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, bacon, and other sources of animal protein.
- Fatty Fish: Salmon, trout, tuna, mackerel, and other fatty fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eggs: A staple in the keto diet, providing a good source of protein and healthy fats.
- Butter and Cream: High-fat dairy products like butter and heavy cream are used for cooking and adding fat to meals.
- Cheese: Hard cheeses like cheddar, brie, mozzarella, and cream cheese are often included in the keto diet.
- Healthy Oils: Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and other healthy oils are used for cooking and dressing salads.
- Avocados: A great source of healthy fats and fiber.
- Low-carb Vegetables: Leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, and other low-carb vegetables are common choices.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, flaxseeds, and other nuts and seeds provide healthy fats and some protein.
- Berries: In limited quantities, berries like strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries are lower in carbs compared to other fruits.
- If you are health concern, then These diets recipes are for you: https://amzn.to/3OnXT7g