image by Canva AI image generator
Looking for a delicious and healthy dessert option that won’t sabotage your keto diet? Look no further than this keto Swiss roll recipe! Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, this dessert is a sweet treat you can feel good about indulging in. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make your own keto Swiss roll at home.
Table of Contents
- What is a Swiss Roll?
- Ingredients Needed for Keto Swiss Roll
- Preparing the Cake
- Rolling the Cake
- Filling the Cake
- Serving Suggestions
- Storing Your Keto Swiss Roll
- Tips and Tricks for Making the Perfect Swiss Roll
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Swiss Roll?
A Swiss roll is a type of sponge cake that’s filled with whipped cream or jam and then rolled up into a tight spiral. It’s a popular dessert all around the world, and for good reason – it’s delicious! Unfortunately, most Swiss rolls are made with lots of sugar and flour, making them off-limits for anyone following a keto diet. But with a few simple substitutions, you can make your own keto-friendly version of this classic dessert.
Ingredients Needed for Keto Swiss Roll
To make a keto Swiss roll, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup granulated erythritol
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered erythritol
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup raspberries (optional)
Preparing the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking sheet with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and erythritol until light and fluffy.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt to the egg yolk mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the almond milk and vanilla extract to the mixture and stir until smooth.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
Rolling the Cake
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, dust a clean kitchen towel with powdered erythritol.
- Carefully flip the cake onto the towel and remove the parchment paper.
- Starting at one end, roll the cake tightly into a spiral using the towel to help guide it.
- Let the rolled-up cake cool completely.
Filling the Cake
- In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently unroll the cooled cake and spread the whipped cream over the surface.
- Add raspberries (if using) on top of the whipped cream.
- Roll the cake back up tightly, this time without the towel.
- Place the rolled-up cake on a serving platter and dust with additional powdered erythritol if desired.
Keto Swiss roll makes a great dessert for any occasion. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and a few fresh raspberries for a beautiful and tasty presentation. Alternatively, slice it into individual servings for a quick and easy dessert any day of the week.
Storing Your Keto Swiss Roll
Store any leftover keto Swiss roll in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To keep the cake moist, wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Perfect Swiss Roll
- Be sure to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form to give the cake its light and fluffy texture.
- Use a gentle touch when folding the egg whites into the batter to prevent the cake from deflating.
- Roll the cake while it’s still warm to prevent cracking.
- Let the cake cool completely before filling to prevent the whipped cream from melting.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use a different type of flour in this recipe?
- We recommend sticking with the almond flour and coconut flour combination for the best results. However, you could try using a different type of nut flour in place of the almond flour.
- Can I use a different type of sweetener?
- We recommend using erythritol for this recipe, as it provides the best texture and sweetness. However, you could try using another keto-friendly sweetener if you prefer.
- Can I freeze this keto Swiss roll?
- We do not recommend freezing this cake, as the whipped cream filling may not hold up well in the freezer.
- How many carbs are in this keto Swiss roll?
- Each serving of this cake contains approximately 5 grams of net carbs.
- Can I make this cake ahead of time?
- Yes, you can prepare the cake and filling up to a day in advance. Store the cake and filling separately in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble and serve.
With this keto Swiss roll recipe, you can indulge in a delicious and healthy dessert without derailing your diet. This cake is easy to make and can be customized with your favorite flavors and toppings. Give it a try and see just how tasty keto-friendly desserts can be!