Are you following a keto diet but still crave your favorite Indian dishes? Naan, a traditional Indian bread, is usually off-limits on a low-carb or keto diet due to its high carb content. But fear not, with this keto-friendly naan recipe, you can indulge in the delicious taste of naan without breaking your diet. In this article, we’ll show you how to make a low-carb naan at home that is perfect for anyone following a keto diet.
What is Keto-Friendly Naan?
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s discuss what makes naan keto-friendly. Traditional naan is made with wheat flour, which is high in carbohydrates. However, this keto-friendly naan recipe uses a combination of almond flour and coconut flour, which are low in carbs and high in healthy fats.
Ingredients for Keto-Friendly Naan
To make keto-friendly naan, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
Steps to Make Keto-Friendly Naan
Here are the step-by-step instructions to make keto-friendly naan:
- In a mixing bowl, add almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and add Greek yogurt and melted butter. Mix well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix well until a smooth dough is formed.
- Add minced garlic if you desire.
- Divide the dough into six equal parts and roll each part into a ball.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place the dough ball on the pan and flatten it into a naan shape with your hands or a rolling pin.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until both sides are golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough balls.
Tips for Making the Perfect Keto-Friendly Naan
Here are a few tips to ensure that your keto-friendly naan turns out perfect every time:
- Make sure the almond flour and coconut flour are well mixed before adding the wet ingredients.
- Use a non-stick pan to prevent the naan from sticking to the pan.
- Flatten the dough balls as thinly as possible for a crispy naan.
- Add garlic to the dough for extra flavor.
Serving Suggestions for Keto-Friendly Naan
Keto-friendly naan pairs well with a variety of Indian dishes, such as butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, or paneer curry. You can also serve it as a side dish with soup or salad.
Keto-friendly naan is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional naan. By using almond flour and coconut flour, you can enjoy the taste of naan while staying on track with your keto diet. With this simple recipe, you can make low-carb naan at home in just a few easy steps.
- Can I substitute almond flour with coconut flour?
- No, you cannot substitute almond flour with coconut flour in this recipe as the two have different properties.
- Can I freeze the keto-friendly naan?
Yes, you can freeze the naan for later use. Simply wrap each naan in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, thaw the naan and warm it up on a pan or in the oven.
- Can I make this recipe vegan?
- Yes, you can make this recipe vegan by substituting the eggs and Greek yogurt with vegan alternatives such as flax eggs and plant-based yogurt.
- How many carbs are in one serving of keto-friendly naan?
- Each serving of keto-friendly naan contains approximately 3-4 grams of net carbs, making it a great low-carb option for anyone following a keto diet.
- Can I add other flavors to the naan dough?
- Yes, you can experiment with different herbs and spices to add flavor to the naan dough. For example, you can add cumin seeds, chopped cilantro, or even red chili flakes for a spicy kick.
In conclusion, this keto-friendly naan recipe is a great way to satisfy your cravings for Indian food while staying on track with your low-carb or keto diet. With just a few simple ingredients and easy steps, you can make delicious and healthy naan at home. Give it a try and enjoy!